For whatever reason you may want to set up an anonymous Facebook account, may be to prevent people from tagging you in photos or posts, prevent people from search or contacting you and otherwise keeping your profile from appearing to those who are not your friends.
In order to do this, you will need to sign up for Facebook and then modify your settings. While we will start from the initial signup, you can always apply these settings to an existing Facebook account.
- Point your browser to facebook.com. Enter your full name, email address, gender, date of birth and create your password. Once you have done this you will press enter. A confirmation email will be sent to your email address. Click on the link to activate your account. Once your account is activated, you can now go about locking down your Facebook.
- Login to your account and go to your settings page by clicking the drop down menu in the top right hand corner of your Facebook dashboard.
- Once under settings you will navigate to the “Sharing on Facebook” link and from there you will check the “Friends Only” option. This effectively makes anything you share on Facebook viewable by your friends only unless you explicitly state otherwise.
- Next check the option that prevents anyone who is not a friend from sending you a message. This will effectively prevent people who are not on your friends list from sending you a message via Facebook.
- On the other options you will check the “Only Me” option. This means that your personal data including birthdate, country etc. will only be viewable by you and not even your friends.
- The next step is to uncheck the option that says “Let Friends of People Tagged in My Photos and Posts See Them.” By default, if you tag a person in a post, their friends will see the tag even if they are not your friends. Checking this option will prevent them from seeing it.
- Uncheck each of the boxes that allow your friends to check you into places, tag you in photos they upload and post on your wall. Alternately you can set the option to allow you to approve any and all posts, photo tags and check-ins before they appear on your Facebook profile.
- The last step is to remove your Facebook profile from being shown in searches. This prevents you from being shown in results when people search for your name or email address.
- Lastly uncheck the option that allows people to add you.
You have effectively locked down your Facebook and no one will be able to find you in a search or through friends. If you want to go a step further, do not add any friends to your Facebook profile which could effectively give away your anonymity.